Tuesday, January 8, 2013

(10) Bye Bye Europe. Arrived in Turkey!


My last day in Athens
5 December 2012, Fethiye, Turkey

After Crete I came back to Athens with Kara.

From there she departed for Canada while I went on with the travel eastward.

On 5 December I left Europe and arrived in Turkey.

The night before a ferryboat brought me in fourteen hours of voyage from Athens to the Greek island of Kos.

Afterwards, another boat navigated from Kos the few remaining kilometres to Bodrum, in Turkey. I did not want to spend the night in this expensive and tourist city, therefore I took a bus to move away from it.

Butterfly Valley (Picture from the Internet)
A participant to the rainbow gathering in Croatia had told me about a beautiful natural and uncontaminated place called Butterfly Valley with a rainbow community living there. This place is near Fethiye and I stopped there hoping to camp a couple of nights.

In order to reach it, an extremely steep slope had to be climbed down. In these days it was raining heavily and so the soil was soaked with water and slippery and I did not want to risk my life. Thus, I renounced to it and stayed in a hostel.

Despite the bad weather, the first impression of Turkey was positive. Turkish people made me feel welcome and warm. In the bus station a man helped me to find my accommodation and arranged for me a free bus to it. Furthermore, in Turkey life is considerably cheaper than in Greece. For example for this hostel I paid 20 Turkish Lira per night (approximatively 8 Euro) with breakfast for a private room.

On the ferry to Turkey
The first night a violent storm blew and caused the electricity to go away. I sat at the table in the makeshift reception and I enjoyed the romanticism of the setting. I wrote on candlelight while hearing the water tickling and with a cat sleeping curled on a cushion on a chair beside.

During the day on the boats my mind had been unclear, as it usually happens when I restart travelling alone after days in a city where I am surrounded by people, things, noises and lights. Worries and doubts about my future buzzed in my head and I could not do much more than let them occupy most of my attention.

A huge quesion mark lied in front of me. What will I do in the following months? Should I keep moving eastward?

Several options were unfolding before me and in these days I could not decide.

After few days where I was stuck there with the rain, I indeed decided to keep moving eastward, direction Antalya.

No comments:

Post a Comment