Saturday, November 3, 2012

(1) Working on an Ecovillage in Istria

13 September - 24 September 2012, Croatia

This post is about the first 'big' experience of the travel.

The first week I passed chilling out in Trieste and traveling through the narrow Slovenian coast, where I spent three nights in the ex Italian towns of Koper, Izola and Piran.

One week after my departure from Turin I entered Croatia, where I worked in an ecovillage in Istria for about a week.

On 13 September I left Piran by hitchhiking and by taking a local bus to the border. From there I entered Croatia by walking. It took about two hours to cross the frontier and reach the first town - Buje - from which I got a ride and a bus to reach my destination in Bale, near Rovinj. There I met Kara, my girlfriend, with whom I spent one week at the ecovillage.

Volunteering in ecovillages is an experience that an increasing number of youth does. Through websites such as Wwoof, Workaway or Helpx you can find ecofarms - but also other kinds of organisations such as hostels or bed&breakfast - by which you can work in exchange of food and accommodation. 

Ecovillage in Istria
The place where I worked is an ecovillage with no community living there - as typically happens - but it is owned by a man of about 55 years old who traveled around the world and volunteered himself in farms in other places. Eventually he settled down and opened this center at his home town. This settlement is eco as it tries to reduce at maximum its environmental impact. Solar panels produce electricity, rain water is collected and organic waste is transformed into compost. Toilets consists of a wood hut with a hole in the middle and sawdust to shovel in the hole after each usage.

The center does not merely involve agriculture-related activities but also others such as art, meditation, dance and various related to nature.

Concerning my experience, we helped in the morning for about four hours and the afternoon was free and we could go to the beach. During my week there I built a bookshelf with Kara, helped the cleaning of the center and completed various maintenance tasks.

It was a good opportunity to spend some time into the nature and for a different kind of experience.
Handmade book shelf
However, I was not enthusiastic and decided to stay only one week for two main reasons.

Firstly, contrary to other ecovillages, no food was provided. Just a kitchen and a hut to sleep - that we actually did not use. We preferred to stay in our own tent, that was cleaner and fleas-free, of which the hut was full.

Secondly, I did not have a great sympathy for the owner of the center. Apparently he is rather friendly and positive. But he constantly gives life lessons and has this superficial attitude to tell that everything is wonderful in the world, that you need to be happy, smile and love always.

Moreover, after talking with other people in the area, we eventually found out that he is well known for manipulating women in order to massage and sexually abuse them. As Kara and other women rightly noticed, he hides himself behind spirituality in order to gain their trust and get sexual proximity.

Feeling uneasy with this situation, after one week we left and spent a couple of nights camping into the wild, close to the seaside.

In those nights I enjoyed letting my self being cradled by nature. I realised that the sound of waves shattering on cliffs and the chanting of crickets in the night is particularly beneficial for my sleep.

I realised that spending nights on the rocks with nothing to do, with stars glittering, the full moon glowing and the sea in front, flattered me with a different angle over life. In this setting my daily worries can be put in perspective and my individuality feels like dissolving into its surrounding. I especially appreciated these nights as I grew up in a big city where the only noises in the night were engines roaring and the urban pollution concealed the night sky.

Eventually we departed and on Saturday 22 September we arrived in the center of Rijeka. The impact with this unpleasant city was strong. The city's dazing lights, the noises and frenzy activity of Saturday afternoon made me feel immediately alienated.

We stayed two nights in a hostel and on Monday 24 September I left Rijeka and continued my travel alone southward alongside the coast.

2 comments:

  1. The best aspect about Eco Village Noida Extension is the functions which are being offered at this venture which become an aspect of the way of life of citizens of this personal group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supertech Eco Village is a venture which was intended to provide high quality personal areas to typical man at prices.

    ReplyDelete