Friday, November 9, 2012

(2) Rainbow on Vir Island

29 September - 2 October 2012, Croatia

On Monday 24 September I separated with Kara in Rijeka and continued my travel alone southward to Zadar, the ex Italian city. We said goodbye believing that we would meet again in one month or so but after few days she told me that she was coming to an island near Zadar for a Rainbow gathering in the forest.

I did not know much about it and I was not sure about what to do: proceeding my travel southward as planned or spend a couple of days with her at this gathering. I had this sour and excited feeling mixed with fear when a very new kind of experience presents. Eventually, I decided to take the opportunity to check out what those hippies were doing there.

From Zadar I walked for about one hour to the outskirts, to reach the road leading to Vir island - which is connected to the mainland through a bridge. I got two rides, one of them on the back of a truck. They left me before the town of Kir from where I had to walk for another hour to get to the meeting point with Kara, who was already in the island from the night before.

When we met I joked with her about the gathering. I asked her whether I would be the only person with short hair and whether strange sexual games were involved. Delighted of being together again we arrived into the forest of the gathering. She informed me that people interact with each other as if they were old friends - even if they had just met. Practically, it means to hug everyone and call them brother and sister. Once there I settled into Kara's tent and started my introductory tour of the gathering' 'facilities'. There was a big tepee with a fire inside as the main gathering point, a 'shit pit' for its obvious use, a rudimentary kitchen and a number of tents and other kinds of huts for sleeping. 

A Bosnian and an Italian brother briefly explained to me about the few rules and philosophy behind the rainbow. It is a gathering of people who want to spend their time in the nature and away from mainstream society  - referred as Babylon - and embrace ideas of freedom, peace, love and harmony. Main activities involve meditation, arts, various learning workshops and music. People attending the gathering usually criticise at a different extent the consumerism and materialism of Babylon.

The common food is strictly vegetarian, the consumption of alcohol as well as of drugs is highly discouraged - even though natural soft drugs such as marijuana or hashish are tolerated. However, I have to say that the amount of this drug used in four days by approximately thirty people was less than the quantity I saw consumed in one night out in Turin, Muenster or Brussels by far less people.

The gathering is free: it works through donations. There is a magic hat that circulates after each meal where people can give what they can afford; if they do not have money they can leave their love through a figurative kiss. This procedure is made jovial by a song where people also stand up and dance spontaneously. 

Spontaneity and freedom are the aspects I felt mostly at the gathering where formalities matter little. In fact, I felt that in this kind of setting it is easier to be myself. For example I could sit together with other people playing guitar or just talking and I felt free to leave whenever I deemed necessary without need for particular explanation.

Relation with nature is of great importance: garbage production is kept at minimum level and the environment is cleaned up at the end of each event.

The organising principle is the one of anarchy and unanimity. There is no boss or representative of any sort. Consensus is attained by talking in circles where a small object circulates and gives the speech right only to the person holding it.

Nevertheless, as in all human settings, there were people more involved and influential in the decision making process and others more marginal, as newbies like me.

Two things of this gathering were particularly beneficial for me. Music and healing circles.

Music is everywhere. No electrical music device is used: only guitars, bongo drums, ukuleles, didgeridoos and you name it. The flow of spontaneity is reflected in music. Somebody can for instance start playing a guitar and sing and you can join with other instruments, singing, clapping hands or any kind of rhythmic sound.

The healing circles I attended were mainly organised by a German brother. He is a student of psychology who tries to use art, music and meditation to reach the heart of people. In these spontaneous arrangements participants sit in circle and speak in turn with a twig giving the right to speak only to the person holding it. You can say whatever you wish but it is better to focus on what and how you feel at the moment. Mostly important, you take all the time you need to talk.

The first circle I took part occurred shortly after my arrival. Already there I realised that this experience was powerful. The energy increased as people slowly took down their barriers and came untied of their fears. This was possible as fellows expressed their feelings, sensations and thoughts in a setting inspired by trust and mutual respect.

I tried not to overburden the round with my personal story but to remain positive and focus on the flow of changing impressions. The days before the gathering I had traveled alone and passed through increased uncertainties. A lot of energy lied unexpressed and silent within myself. Round after round I was getting closer to it. This energy - I realised afterwards - was made of the tears I repressed and of the truth I was not ready to accept. This energy finally found its way out and expressed itself in silent tears that were nonetheless visible to the others.

After that moment, I felt very close to these people who I barely knew. A closeness that I had felt in few occasions before and that I deeply craved. A closeness that allows boundaries to fall, together with the impression of individuality.

With these circles I truly opened up to others and I felt to be safe as others were doing the same. Eventually, I realised something that I already knew. Beyond the masks we all wear, we are similar in our feelings, fears, ambitions and desires. We are much more similar than we usually think.

Another aspect I reflected upon was my relation with time. In this kind of context, likewise other experiences characterised by the absence of a strict schedule, my relation with time was sane. You take all the time you need to do what you want to do.

In the last years at university and work my mindset was to always be productive and have a schedule for each moment of my day. I felt guilty and ashamed when I did not. By losing track of time it is easier to focus more on the present experience and less on what comes after and on the time left. Moreover, without schedules pure creativity and inspiration can thrive.

At the end of the gathering I felt that this experience was in perfect line with the spirit of my journey and that it offered several things to learn. Hence, I left by knowing that I will repeat it at some point in the future.

Eventually, the gathering was moved to another location in the north of Croatia.

Kara joined it while I decided to go on with my journey southward, heading to south of Croatia.

No comments:

Post a Comment